The steps below will guide you through creating and attaching a volume to your instance. Similar to Amazon EBS volume's, Eucalyptus volumes are network-attached storage for your instance.
Create a Eucalyptus Volume
- Log into the Eucalyptus Management Console
- From the navigation bar, select Storage
- Select Volumes
- (Optional) In the Name field, enter a name for your volume (e.g demo-volume)
- Click Create New Volume
- In the Volume size (GB) field, enter 2
ecc-cluster-1in the Availability zone
- Click Create volume
- You will be redirected to the Volumes Details page. Wait until the volume status changes to Available.
Attach a Eucalyptus Volume to an Instance
- From the Volumes for the volume you created above, click the gear icon under Actions
- Select Attach to Instance
- In the Instance field, select the instance ID you assigned to the instance launched earlier
- The Device field will automatically select an appropriate device location
- Click Attach Volume.
- It may take a few moments for the volume to attach. You will see the instance name appear in the Attached to Instance column once the volume has attached.
Volumes are analogous to a hard drive. It can only connect it to one Instance and when new it must be formatted with an acceptable file system. To learn more about this, try the optional task: Mount and Format the Volume.
You have now successfully provisioned both compute and storage.
Finish the exercise by releasing the resources in the next step: Clean up.