The steps below will guide you through creating and attaching a volume to your instance using the User Console. Similar to Amazon EBS volume's, Eucalyptus volumes are network-attached storage for your instance.
Create a Eucalyptus Volume
- Log into the Eucalyptus User Console
- From the navigation bar, select Storage » Volumes
- In the Manage volumes page click Create new Volume
- (Optional) In the Name field, enter a name for your volume (e.g demo-volume)
- In the Volume size (GB) field, enter 2
ecc-cluster-1in the Availability zone
- Click Create volume
- You will be redirected to the Manage volumes page. Wait until the volume status changes to Available.
Attach a Eucalyptus Volume to an Instance
- From the Manage volumes page select the volume you created above
- From the More Actions button select Attach to instance
- In the Instance field, type the instance ID or name you assigned to the instance launched earlier
(The Eucalyptus User Console will automatically begin searching as you type)
- The Attach as device field will automatically select an appropriate device location
- Click Attach.
- It may take a few moments for the volume to attach. You will see the instance name appear in the Attached to Instance column once the volume has attached.
Volumes are analogous to a hard drive. It can only connect it to one Instance and when new it must be formatted with an acceptable file system. To learn more about this, try the optional task: Mount and Format the Volume.
You have now successfully provisioned both compute and storage.
Finish the exercise by releasing the resources in the next step: Clean up.