From our work to help organizations deliver successful production Eucalyptus clouds, we have documented a catalog of reference architectures that can be used as the foundation for production deployments.
These architectures are categorized by use case and include:
- Description of the intended use of the resulting production deployment
- Discussion on the balance between virtual machines, storage, and certain features
- Discussion of all technologies that are required to successfully run a production Eucalyptus cloud
Not all deployments will exactly implement one of the reference architecture deployments, but all production deployments should start off with one of the architectures below.
Use Cases and Reference Architectures
Application Development and Testing
Scalable Web Services
- Scalable Web Services Small
- Scalable Web Services Large
Additional Technologies and Techniques
It should be noted that not all features of Eucalyptus are exercised by these reference architectures. Many features of Eucalyptus (multi-cluster tunnelling, LDAP integration) are present for integration purposes, but are not implemented as 'deployment best practice' if they are not needed.
These reference architectures each specify 'maximums' that the deployment can support. If the maximums in place for each reference architecture need to be substantially exceeded for a deployment, the deployment should be taken into consideration as one that will require devoted, customized attention to ensure its production readiness.